Monday, July 6, 2009

Its a Hell of a Weightloss Plan...

Im finally home after spending a week in the hospital. Yes, that is correct, you read it right...a week.

A week ago Sunday we went out to Jason's Deli after church with the lovely Latte Boy and Mrs. Katz and their crew. We laughed and got caught up as Mrs. Katz had been at camp for three weeks and I had missed her dreadfully. On the way home I had a bit of a stomach ache which is not unusual because I had some ice cream (how can you resist limitless soft serve) but have some intolerance with lactose...not much...not enough to make me not eat it.

Within 10 minutes of arriving home I was vomiting and had diarrhea. Five minutes later I was on the floor, couldnt really move, couldnt speak...as in my lips and tongue had swollen and I couldnt see. My body temperature (this is from the paramedics) was up to 105!! I was screaming for E to call 911, but he really couldnt understand me (and thought I was being dramatic--*who me?*) but when he saw me he grabbed the phone and called. Thank you Seminole County Fire Department for arriving within 5 minutes.

We spent a good portion of the evening in the ER and they believed I had a Rx to an antibiotic that I had started taking that morning. Sweet Pum Pum (AKA now as "The girls are okay...YOURE not...") and H. watched the girls. They sent us home but we were back the next day in the ER again with other worse symptoms which, for the sake of all, I wont go into detail about.

I was admitted immediately and long story short, after a CAT scan, a sonogram, a colonoscopy, and cultures, finding my white blood cell count through the roof, they decided that I had either had E. Coli/Staph, or had an allergic Rx to the antibiotic and it ripped my digestive system up to the point of massive bleeding and infection. It was bad.

I dont remember a ton of the first two days, but I know that I am so thankful for kind, compassionate nurses, sweet praying friends, people who are willing to simply drop what they had planned to help out, good drugs, our pastors, my sweet husband who so graciously managed things and took care of me even though I was so out of it and really mean to him, and good doctors. The nurses at Florida Hospital are amazing. They were so kind to me and helped with each little thing that I needed, from sips of water, to administering wonderful pain numbing medication, to tucking in a blanket that fell.

My mom flew down from Chicago to help out with the girls so that E could stay with me, although it ended up being the reverse...my mom stayed with me and E stayed with the girls. (Ironically, this was our week to be in Chicago...Eric had taken the week off, we had our tix and everything was set to go. The only thing we hadnt done was pack.) What is it about being violently ill that makes you want your mom. Probably because no one loves you like your momma loves you.

The Girl got to come up several times but I did not get to see the baby for 7 days. It was horrible and I was so upset about it. However, there was nothing I could do...there was no way Baby Girl was going to come up to a hospital floor that had quarentine patients on it!

Im feeling much much better today. Really, almost back to normal. During the CAT scan they found a cyst on my ovary that will need removing probably within the next couple of weeks. Not fun, but we have been there before and can navigate those waters a bit more skillfully.

more later...I have a crying baby to attend to and I cant wait to hold her!

3 comments:

Roses in December said...

So much for a vacation to Chicago huh? Glad to hear you are better.
Bren

U said...

Dude(ette)!! I didn't know it was that bad. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Goes On Runs said...

so sorry.... yuck, yuck, and more yuck!